1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4" Tuff Country Lift

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by CarpenterGuy, Aug 20, 2008.

1. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I've been looking at this lift. Does anyone have a Tuff Country, or have an opinion about it?
    Also, can someone explain to me why i have to get new wheels with 4.5" backspacing? what is backspacing anyway?
  2. 97burban

97burban New Member

Heynot rea sure about the lift,but I used to paly around with lifted jeeps about a year ago.The backspacing is for the rubbing issues that you will have if you dont follow the manufacturers suggestions.I had a rough country lift on my jeep.
    Not real sure what everyone else says but I just go with a decent name lift kit and they are pretty much about the same.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Tuff Country is an ok lift, I've heard a few issues getting replacement parts but that was a few years ago, havent heard any problems lately. I've put a few of these lifts on trucks, the instructions were a little vague.

Back spacing is the measurement from the wheel center to the outer wheel rim. Lay your wheel face down on the ground place a flat item (metal, wood, it doesnt matter) on the edges of the rim across, from side to side, now use a tape measure to to measure the distance from the wheel flange (the flat area that goes against the brake hub or rotor) to the bottom of the item you placed across the rim. This measurement is your back spacing.
    Back spacing is used to set the wheel/tire in or out of the hub centerline. To much or to little back spacing can cause damage to wheel bearings and affect steering.
  4. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

my neighbor has tuff country on his bronco and has had no problems
    skyjacker is also a great lift
  5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i would say tuff country is a middle to upper level lift but im sure will be fine and give great performance. as they said backspacing on the rims is so the bigger tires you put on will not rub
  6. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

6" Tuff Country lift here. Well built lift and after first considering a 4", there was only an $89 difference for the 6" so I went with that and run 35" toyo M/T's on 20"
    Ultra wheels.

Cognito would be top of the line lift and comes with a higher price.
  7. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Your truck is breath taking, and i would love a 6" lift, but i need to be able to put stuff in the bed easy, or somewhat easy. I also already have 33" tires on, so all i need to do is swap my current timres over to new wheels, same size wheels of course.