1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Offroad 4 wheel atv offroad or onroad?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by ChevyFan, Dec 28, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If you have a 4wheeler do you keep it off road or do you ride it onroad as well?
  2. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Used to have a 4 wheeler when I loved in southeast ohio, I rode off road about 90% of the time, but rode it on pavement to the gas station to fill up. pavement eats the tires up, and you have significantly less grip depending on the tires.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There was a big article in one of the major papers on this. I never thought about it but the tires are offroad rated only and are low psi just for that reason.
  4. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

yup. although you can just buy some cheap honduuuuuuh rims of craigslist and bolt them up depending on your four-wheelers lug pattern.

(modification to wheels might be necessary, You may need a grinder with a couple of cutoff wheels)

EDIT

They will most likely be 4x156.

any rims will work as long as they have that lug pattern
  5. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

I have 4 wheelers, They stay on the ranch, they get an occasional short run down the county road (gravel). Not legal as I don't have the on road lighting kit on either of mine. I just do some careful defensive driving when I'm on the county roads ! I know the owners manual on one of mine states clearly that it's not intended for use on pavement. That one has a 'live' rear axle - no diff., that would be "interesting" to drive on pavement ! Ken
  6. squatchy

squatchy Member 100 Posts

Guy down the road from me actually swaps wheels out depending on what he is doing with his quad. He has a set of what I assume are golf cart tires that spend a lot of time on it.
  7. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

0907131825b.jpg 0907131824.jpg Do a little riding with Phantom Jr. "Old School" 88' Honda trx250R that I put a Bigbore 350 cylinder on and stroked the crank +4mm. Put the brand new technology APT Smartcarb for 2 strokes on it also. No one would ever know this thing is 26 years old and still keeping up with the modern big dogs.