1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4 Wheel Disk Conversion

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by MTM, May 8, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM New Member

Okay I'd really like to do a 4 wheel disk conversion. I have bought the best rotors and pads i can find and they still don't seem to stop the greatest and they always seem to squeak. So I'm pretty much done with rotors and drums. Has anyone done this or know where i can find information on how to do this and where i can buy a kit?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

I have seen and used the SSBC ones a few times on past trucks.. Very good product.....:great:
  4. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

Glad to see some feedback on ssbc kits. I eyeballed them a while back when i first started looking into upgrading to 4disc and massive fronts, but because i hadn't ever heard of them and neither had anybody i know, i kinda stayed away from em. Maybe something worth looking into again.
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I see you have a 2000 truck, but is it 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton? If it's either a 3/4 or 1 ton with a 14-bolt full-floating rear, you can convert to 4wd discs for less than kits like SSBC and such. Bascially you buy a custom bracket and then use front rotors and calipers from a 75 3/4 ton pickup and you're done. Downside is you lose parking brakes. Or, if you can find them, you use the same rotors, but use Eldorado rear calipers since they have parking brake provisions in them. It's a pretty common mod in the offroad world.
  6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

I had done some looking into doing a conversion on my 11' and I was was told by a few different people not to do it. GM made trucks for a few years with 4 wheel discs and went back to drums. I was told the braking is actually better with the 2 and 2. I looked at SSBC, Baer and Willwood's website and they didn't have a bolt on kit. They may have come up with one by now since it was about a year ago when I looked.