1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by andrew bookout, Mar 19, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. andrew bookout

andrew bookout New Member

when i put my truck intoo 4 hi and 4 low the truck will not come out of first gear. and when i put it into revers the back tires will lock up then start moving again but will make a loud poping sound before it starts to move again.
    also when im in drive and it wont go out of first gear it will make a loud pop then go into second gear.
    what would be the cause of this
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like the drivetrain is binding up for some reason. Are you turning on pavement? Different sized tires? Is it possible someone has changed gear ratio/axle in front or rear so they no longer match?
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds a lot like two different gear ratios in the axles.
    Or something in the Tcase coming apart on the front drive section.

It does move good in 2wd? Correct?
  4. andrew bookout

andrew bookout New Member

yea it drives fine in 2wd but sometimes when u come to a complete stop and then start to move again it will pop then to.
  5. jim1958

jim1958 New Member

Sounds like you got the transfer case blues, dude. Get ready to bend over and grab your ankles, it isn`t going to be pretty