Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4 wheel low issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Amylynn, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Amylynn

Amylynn New Member

hi , i have a 03 z71 silverado , it just recently had the transfercase and tranny separated and the gaskets replased , about a week ago an today i put it into foor wheel low and i noticed when i start to turn corners in 4L the engine almost seems like it starts to die and the tiresfeel like thelock up it hops foward in very rough way
    dose anyone know what could cause this it dose not do it if i put it in awd

any help would be great
    Thanks

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not sure what settings your '03 system has, but this kind of behavior is "normal" for part tiem 4wd systems. In 2H, the front end is completely disconnected. In 4A, the front end is connected, and powered "on demand." In 4H and 4L, the transfer case is "locked" so that the front and rear driveshafts are locked together and have to spin at the same speed. On pavement or other high traction surface, when you turn, the front end has to turn faster than the rear, but it cannot because it is locked at the transfer case. The result is "drivetrain tension" that expresses itself as difficulty turning, bogging in turns, or wheels hopping, or u-joints breaking, or gears breaking. This is why the 4H and 4L settings should only be used in low traction conditions when the wheels have plenty of slip and this tension doesn't build up.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

never operate this vehicle on dry solid pavement in ANY 4WD selection. this is part time 4WD.

2003 Z71 has AWD ? I thought it came with 4wd hi/low, auto 4wd. and 2wd.

IN the auto 4wd this locks the front diff axles together at all times this is also not to be used on solid dry pavement.

this wil lcause great stress and wear of the drivetrain components.