1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

454 Swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bigbluesub, Oct 5, 2011.

1. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

Greetings, I was wondering what all would have to be changed out to switch out the small block with a big block?

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Pretty much everything. Transmission, PCM, radiator, wiring harness, pretty much everything has to be changed because you're swapping motors and going from a small block to a big block. Doable, yes. Cost efficient, no.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I see it looks like you have a '85 350 with a carb on your truck now. I don't know your budget but have you looked at the GM crate motor HT502, part # 88890534? It has 377 hp at 4,500rpm's and 512 lb-ft of torque at only 3,300 rpm's. Its made for older heavy trucks.

4. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

Its actually a pretty easy swap, but remember even a stock smog 454 puts out more torque than your stock drivetrain was designed to handle. It may last if you baby it, but run it hard and it will fail. The stock 700r4 can barely stand up to a stock 350. Your NP241 transfercase will probably be ok, but the 10 Bolt axles will not be happy. Like Crawdaddy said not cost efficient, to make the entire truck reliable you'll have to upgrade the whole drivetrain.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  5. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

First thing I'd change out would be the size of your wallet!

6. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

Thanks, guess it is more work and money than it is worth. I will work on making a torquey smallblock...

7. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

It is a painful idea, but it is probably cheaper to trade rigs with one that already has a 454 in it. I'm going to guess it is probably a 2500 too, so other side benefits if you choose this path.

8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

How about bore and stroking your small block to a 383 or a 406?

9. bigbluesub

bigbluesub Rockstar

I think that is what I will do. I will find a machine shop and get some estimates to compare vs the crate 383.....

10. mv86dually

mv86dually New Member

It's still possible to find old rusty Chevy Trucks and suburbans that have big blocks. Then you have everything you need for the swap at a reasonable cost