454 tick

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Un4seen4, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Un4seen4

Un4seen4 New Member

I have a 97 burb with the 454 in it at around 115K miles on it, as of late when its been rather cold one of the valve lifters will tick like mad. The tick would go away after it warmed up but now it is there all the time just not as loud.

I change the oil regularly using GTX high milage 5w-30, last was less than a 1K miles ago

I tred adding an additive yesterday morning and drove it around all day in attempt to de sludge it with no results.

Any ideas on a remedy would be appreciated

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

The normal clatter when cold & during the first minute or two is normal for GM hydrolic lifters, but if yours continues & never goes away then the internal lifter spring is probably weak or collapsed, or the adjusting lock nut has lost is "locking" ability & has backed off allowing the rocker to loosen up & allow too much clearance. Localize which lifter/rocker it is & check the nut. It should be difficult to turn. If it's not, then replace it & readjust it. If this doesn't cure it then you need to replace the lifter. Normally you would want to replace them all, as this is a sign of more failures to come, but with only 115K miles on it, this is probably an isolated issue to just this one.

3. Un4seen4

Un4seen4 New Member

havent been on in a while, but figured it out just noise from sluge and gunk build up, had a oil system flush and clean done on it and no more tick.

4. Averitt

Averitt Member

My '94 5.7 did the same thing, even after replacing with a new Jasper engine, same thing with my '97 5.7, both Suburbans.

5. Rob96

Rob96 New Member

In order to replace one lifter, you have to remove the intake manifold, throttle body, valve covers, etc. If you're going to replace one lifter, you might as well replace them all, along with a new cam. New lifters on an old cam is a failure waiting to happen. This is a job that is not cheap or easy, and if you don't replace everything (might as well add in a new timing chain & gears and a new water pump while you're at it), it will come back to bite you. I never was a big fan of using any kind of roller lifters in street engines just exactly because of these issues.

6. stephan

Yep, that's why I wrote this in my post Rob ---> Normally you would want to replace them all, as this is a sign of more failures to come, but with only 115K miles on it, this is probably an isolated issue to just this one.
    The thing about it Rob, is that most owners who come here & ask for help don't have an unlimited budget to rebuild or replace everything. They are here trying to get their vehicles repaired as inexpensively as possible, otherwise they would just be taking them to the dealer for carte blanche repairs & replacing everything that might go wrong for the life of the vehicle.

7. Rob96

Rob96 New Member

Cool it, Stephan.

I'm not advocating that everyone should just open their wallets and recklessly spend their money left & right as you suggest. However, there is a phrase: Why is there never enough money to do a job right the first time, but always enough to do it over again?

I'm here just like everybody else - to learn some stuff and to ultimately save money by trying to do as much as I can on my own. Just because I'm a newbie on this forum doesn't mean I don't have any relevant experience.

One of the most beneficial things we all have on this forum is a willingness to tackle problems ourselves. That said, when I say it may be valuable to consider replacing additional items that happen to be "in the area" of a repair, it's because there is a return on that effort. Our cheapest resource is our labor time, yet it is not unlimited. And how many of you out there are willing to admit that you took a shortcut and it came back to bite you? Sometimes saving money in the long run means you need to spend a little extra up front.

BTW, I have never taken any of my vehicles for service to a dealer.

8. stephan

Cool it stephan??? I never heard that before... I agree with trying to save him money Rob, that's why I wanted to get him started with the adjusting nut (the cheapest piece involved that might actually be the culprit) on down to the lifter. I also agree that sometimes giving people advice to get them by as cheaply as possible can come back to bite you, & that's why I put the last paragraph in my post. The main reason I see for people coming here & asking questions is to try & save money, so I try & give them the cheapest route to take first.

The ironic thing is, the op got his engine oil flushed & his lifter ticking fixed without following either yours or my advice, so I guess he didn't need us in the first place

Like you, I also have never taken my vehicles to a dealer, except when it was necessary for the first few "dealer required services" to keep the warranty in effect.