1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

454 to a 305

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Patric, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Patric

Patric New Member

I have 2 complete trucks. I have a 89 3500 with a sick 454 gas guzzler and a 91 1500 with a 305 that runs good. I am thinking about puting the 305 in the 1 ton truck, after a rebuild while I have it out, and continuing to use it pulling farm stuff and heavy loads of wood. How much power will I notice loosing and is this a good idea? Most of the miles I drive are on the road but I could be pulling up to 6,000 - 7,000 lbs. at a time when I need it.
  2. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

Though the 305 is a long stroke engine, it won't even come close in comparison to the 454's torque. If you were just pulling equipment around the farm, I don't think that would be too much of a problem, but once you are on the roads, trying to get up to speed, it could get ugly. Obviously this is ultimately your decision, but I think the power loss will be quite significant. Good luck with your decision!
  3. Patric

Patric New Member

Is there any kind of chip that can be added or any other modifications that would give me more power and notice less of a difference?
  4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! I agree, the 454 is a TORQUE monster and the 305 is nearly 180 degrees different.
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome!!!
  6. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't believe any chip will make a dent in the difference. If you are planning a complete rebuild, including higher compression, high flow intake and heads, a fat cam, and so on, then you could make a little more power with the 305. You would spend a LOT more money trying to do that than if you were to throw a decent rebuild at the 454. As always, this is just my opinion on the matter, and if you get some other feedback that you like better, then run with it!
  7. LSU truckman

LSU truckman Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi there! Welcome

Big block rule small blocks have complexes!
  8. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

The 305 will eat almost as much gas as the 454 trying to do the same. The best bet is a Diesel engine. or maybe my 350 Vortec...had it in my 1 ton dually for ever and pulls fine, geeting 14MPG with the 350. A 6.5 turbo diesel tund right gets about 22-28 MPG in this same truck, with a lot more tourge then even a 454 !
    But i am glad to sell you either one, 350 Vortec comes with everything you need ...ECM and all for 1500-2000 bucks + shipping.
  9. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  10. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club Patric