454 wishes

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by LoneWolf'burban, Apr 19, 2010.

1. LoneWolf'burban

LoneWolf'burban Rockstar 100 Posts

I have in my possesion an 84 'burban with a 454. I was wondering if there were any bolt ons that would give me more power and better gas milage. Such as a certain grind cam, intake, carb etc. Not planning a rebuild anytime soon so new heads would be counter productive with the valves sealing better than the rings and getting too much blow by burning all my oil up. Ordered a rebuilt Q jet from Summitt. I've had a 76 3/4 ton Custom Delux 20 with a 350, an 83 C10 with a 305, and my father's 73 four door Nova with factory 350(not for sale) with Q jets and no problems. Works, stickin with it. But this is also my 3rd post and am now rid of the auto msg on top of the page. Thank you and let the mighty Chevy V8 roar.

2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

An aftermarket intake, exhaust, hotter ignition, and a properly tuned carb will do wonders for your horsepower and fuel milage. Always start with the basics.

3. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

headers, intake manifold, CLEAN CARB, Different intake filter(K&N, AirAid, ect.) Electric Fan, there's a big list of stuff, it all depends on what you're willing to spend.

4. LoneWolf'burban

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I thought. I've been out of the loop for about 3 years now on upgrades and aftermarket parts. Graduating H.S. and trying to survive, then a year in Afghanistan. But I need to know if the oval stock shaped mufflers like Flowmasters or the in-line glass pack type sound and enhance performance better. Glass packs on a 283 and 350 are the sweetest music I've ever heard but I can't recall anybody using glass packs on a 454.

5. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

Glass packs on a 454 :3 They'll definitely know you're coming.
    As for the rebuilt carburetor, even if it's from Summit, be very careful. The newest rebuilt carb you're going to find is at a minimum 22-23 years old, or more depending on your model. No telling how many times it's been rebuilt. If it works good, hey, great! If not, I recommend a plain jane Edelbrock #1406.

6. LoneWolf'burban

Never been a big fan of Edelbrock. So many people out there doing Edelbrock it seems more like a fashion item now.

7. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

It's popular because it works very well. :)

8. LoneWolf'burban

I know. That's a proven fact too. But I've never been a band wagoner. I probly have an edlelbrock carb on there now. But I've never seen the name on there so it didn't bother me. I've been a fan of the sleeper look anyway.

9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

GAS MILAGE??? ON A 454??? hahaha that is a good joke... :rofl:
    All messing around aside they have hit most of the major points...