1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4L60-E Problem???

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by moogvo, Nov 21, 2008.

1. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

So I noticed that the tranny in my '03 Silverado 2 wheel drive is acting fruity. I have only had this truck a couple of months and don't know if the following information is a "normal" thing...

It seems to slip into Neutral between 1st and 2nd gears. It will also allow the engine speed to go really high before shifting from 1 to 2.

If I drive it REALLY easy, it seems to shift fine...

The tranny shop told me it needed a sprague gear replaced to the tune of about 1700 bux after driving it around the block.

I have read postings from others who say that they went to the dealer and had the computer re-programmed which fixed it.

So my question is...

Is my tranny busted, or does the computer just need to be "re-programmed"?
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

I have never heard of reprograming to fix a tranny problem. :neutral:

I guess if the mechanic said it could help and its significantly cheaper I would give it a try. :neutral:

How many miles are on this tranny??
  3. moogvo

Somewhere (not-so-deep inside), I know it is most likely the sprague gear as the transmission guy told me. It explains why the previous owner was so quick to trade it to me. It has the right mileage for a serious problem. All of the mechanical knowledge I have gained over the years tells me this is no computer issue. I am in denial about dropping 1700 dollars to fix a truck I have had for a month.

I would rather spend the money to put on a set of Flowmasters and other toys, but the truth is as black-and-white as the text on this page... The tranny is bad.

Options at this point are:

Leave the truck parked until I can have it fixed correctly for $1,700.00.
    Buy the parts and attempt to fix it myself and risk messing it p worse and being out almost half the repair cost money.
    Buy a bone yard tranny for $500.00 and risk having the same problem once I swap them out.
    Sell the truck and cut my losses.

Thanks for your reply.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts

Just a thought, but you can buy a brand new GM transmission for $1700 delivered. Granted, you would have to install it, but there wouldn't be any of this" well I fixed that problem for $1700, but this is another problem and it will cost another $1000" after it is "fixed" for $1700.

All the online GM engine (goodwrench and GM preformance) sellers also sell new 4160E trans. No BS "rebuilt" new.

Lotta freakin' work of course. Sorry about your problem-the old owner was a cheat.No point in trying to sell it-prices are so low now-crummy economy- that you would have to discount it so much for the trans problem-lucky to get $2000 for it with a bad trans.

Luck,
    Charlie
  5. retired

retired New Member

Here's my thoughts, I have seen this many times if you try and build it yourself you will be wasting your time. There are many rubber seals in the trans and if you put a little nick in one of them doing your own rebuild you'll be taking it apart again to try and figure out what went wrong. Second buying a junk yard unit most come with a 30 day waranty but you eat the installation labor if it goes bad. Your best bet is to bit the bullet and have the trans rebuilt.
  6. CoolBlueSS

CoolBlueSS New Member

I would get a second opinion. A reprogram can fix SOME shifting problems, but with that many miles it's ore than likely internal. I'd still take somewhere else to make sure.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

It's possible that this issue can be resolved through a re-programming. I know with Saturns there was a shift flare issue similar to what you're referring to and the solution was a computer reprogram. However, depending on what the previous owner did with the truck, like towing very heavy loads, street racing, etc, it could be an internal wear issue. I see you took it to a tranny shop, but did you check the transmission fluid level. Low fluid could cause shift flares because there isn't enough fluid pressure to engage the next gear until the engine revs while it's in neutral. In fact, I'm almost sure that your issue is either in the programming or probably the valve body relating to a fluid pressure issue. Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? It should have been at least once by now. You might give that a shot. However, be aware that if you change the fluid, the transmission may get worse due to the new fluid. Trannies can be touchy like that...
  8. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member 1000 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 4L60e as well. I had to get the whole thing rebuilt and pay i think it was around $1900 at AAmco. it sucked but the thing worked beautifully afterwards and i didnt have to worry about it. I dont think the previous owner ever serviced it and it decided to start going at around 88K.
  9. moogvo

I will try the cheap avenues first.

I don't know how he serviced the transmission when he had the truck, but the engine oil is CLEAN! The top of the engine is clean! He did have receipts for oil changes dating about 2 1/2 months between changes on average.

The guy told me he has been dating this girl that lives about 70 miles away and has been going to her house for a couple of years almost daily. The truck never had a hitch or a bumper ball installed. I have since installed a hitch and towed a 5x8 cargo trailer once with it.

I figured that with all road miles and no tow hitch, it should have been in pretty good shape. The rest of the truck is like brand new. It steers and stops as tightly as a brand new one.

Oh well... I traded him an '02 Olds intrigue for the truck. Now I feel like it was indeed an "even trade". I would have traded with him even if I had known about the tranny, but I wish he had at least been honest enough to tell me about it so I could make a decision based on the facts. Now I feel like he is a liar and went out of his way to pawn the truck off before it left him walking.

I couldn't sleep if I had done that to someone. That's just me tho.
  10. retired

retired New Member

Taking the cheap route might turn out to be the most expensive route.