4L60-E Trans Problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by MikeO, Sep 25, 2009.

1. MikeO

MikeO New Member

I have a 2000 GMC S15 and the trans appears to be in limp mode (only have reverse, 2nd, & 3rd) and the Service Engine Soon light is on. I found some great info on this site, and expected either solenoid a (1-2 shift) to be bad or a whole bunch of trans codes caused by bad power. I just got a scan tool and have the following codes.

P0305, cylinder 5 misfire
    P0758, shift solenoid b electrical
    P0758, shift solenoid b electrical, pendingl

It seems that solenoid b (2-3 shift) must be working because I have both 2nd and 3rd. That seems to imply bad power from the ignition switch and/or wiring from what I've read. I put a DVM on the trans fuse and measured 12.3V with ignition on and ~9.9V while cranking. That seems ok to me, but then again I'm not a mechanic. What do I check next? Thanks.

Mike

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It's not uncommon to have a bad shift solenoid. How does it shift with the selector in D? Does it just stay in 3rd gear?

3. MikeO

MikeO New Member

When in D it stays in 3rd. Starts in 3rd, stays in 3rd, won't go into overdrive.
    When in 3 it stays in 3rd. Starts in 3rd, stays in 3rd.
    When in 2 it stays in 2rd. Starts in 2rd, stays in 2rd.
    When in 1 it stays in 2rd. Starts in 2rd, stays in 2rd.
    2-3 only works manually and it shifts hard.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

4. MikeO

MikeO New Member

I replaced the 2-3 SS and the trans is working correctly. :happy: The bad 2-3 SS measured 3.5 ohm across the coil.
    Mike