Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4L60 or 350T?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by LoneWolf'burban, May 4, 2011.

1. LoneWolf'burban

LoneWolf'burban Rockstar 100 Posts

4L60 or 5 speed?

I have a 1992 Gmc Sonoma Gt with a 4L60 behind a 4.3 Vortec. I've heard a lot of bad things about the 4L60 and seem to be experiencing one now. 1-2 shift chirps them tires or scoots the hind end side ways depending on my current driving surface and throtle amount. What all do I need to change out the auto for a stick? I know I'll need a flywheel, clutch, pedal, hydo clutch cylinder. Will I need a new bell housing or crossmember? Which model trans would be best?
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I would just have the 4l60 rebuilt. They have updated/heavy duty parts for them now and most of the problem area's with them have been improved on.
  3. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

Sure wish my 700R4 would shift hard enough to break 'em loose!
  4. LoneWolf'burban

LoneWolf'burban Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks Silveradotrailblazer. That's what I'm thinking because I prefer an auto to a manuel. My hands are usually too busy doing something else in the truck to shift all the time. But I do want a slap shifter for those times I'm playin around. And 1991 Suburban, it was cool for the first 3 days but now it's starting to hurt. The non adjustable buckets don't help either.
  5. racekid91

racekid91 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

NV3500 would be your best bet if you want to go 5 speed.

Otherwise, there is a ton of aftermarket for the 700R4 and the 4L60E. Mine is "mild" built IMO. I have BandM's 2400 Stall Converter, BandM's Shift Kit, "Beast" Sunshell, and 9 Pack Cluch Packs. Stock is 6. One of my next mod's is going to be the Corvette Servo also. If I end up building up a 383 stroker, I'll be looking at getting Yank's 2700 Stall Converter