1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4L60E chatters in R

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by MrShorty, Aug 16, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

'98 K1500 Suburban 5.7 L 4L60E transmission. Has developed a "chatter" (for lack of a better word) in reverse only. Just looking to hear about other's similar experiences, and what steps you would take in diagnosing this.
  2. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike New Member 100 Posts

put it on a rack and duplicate the noise

get your stethascope out and pinpoint the noise (tranny, diff)

tear it apart and inspect ;)
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It's not a noise, so maybe "chatter" wasn't the right word. It's more something you feel, like a clutch chattering or slipping, but the engine isn't taking off either.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Im well aware you the chatter you describe.. It happened on a number of Dodges that i have ridden in. And a few Chevies.. I dont remeber what the problem was but i know a lot of them they just drove till it quit (moving since all of thiers were in forward gears). So ill be interested to see. I know it has to do with line pressure, and the reverese clutch pack...