1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4L60E loosing Fluid. But not on the ground HELP!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by murdog94, Aug 26, 2010.

1. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Alright heres the issue. I put a quart of tranny fluid into my truck yesterday. And it had a flush recently so i wasnt to concerned. Well after a 20 miles drive i had to put in another Quart of ATF... I wasnt happy and still didnt think that much of it. Today I went out and checked it after running to my buddies house last night (about 5 miles total). Today i was over 1 1/2 quarts down again.
    I am not leaking it onto the ground. It isnt in my coolant. and my transfercase isnt pouring it out onto the ground yet either. But that is where i think it is going. I think the seal let loose and is allowing the fluid into the transfer??
    I know that the 4L80E that the hummer has for the military has a cooler that runs thru the transfer and will break allowing tranny fluid in that way. I am just not sure if my truck has the same type of cooler or if i just have a bad output seal? any help and input would be awsome since i kinda need to get this done. Oh and as a last note i have not had a chance to check the transfercase fluid level but i am not driving the truck till i get this figured out.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Well i think i found the culprit.. a bad output shaft seal going from the tranny to the transfer.. It will be going into the shop on monday since i dont have time to do the work myself.. Unless i get up early (fat chance) and tear into it.