Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4l60e no reverse!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bcranslow, Apr 23, 2012.

1. bcranslow

bcranslow New Member

I have a 2000 silverado 4x4 with 163,000 miles. One day I took off from a stop sign and when the truck shifted to second it went "BANG". Now there is no reverse and I've read that there isn't a 2 or 4 gear. I'm pretty sure the sunshell went bad in it. I was wondering if anybody could tell me how easy it is to replace the sunshell. I don't mind having to take the transmission out, I just want to know what I'm gonna have to go through to replace it. I just want to know if anyone has any diagrams of the transmission or any other suggestions on what I should do. Thanks!!

2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Dude, I hate to tell you this but it is time for a rebuild. Reverse is usually the first thing to go. Taking out the trans is not hard and it is pretty self explanatory once you start to take it out but I will tell you this. Don't let just anybody rebuild it that says they know transmissions. I have had many transmissions rebuilt and they where done poorly or didn't last. I have had good luck with Aamco but even then I make sure a very experienced technician rebuilds mine. I hope this helps. Good luck. :glasses:

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

So you have no reverse, but you have not confirmed if you have 2 or 4? Assuming it is the sunshell that needs to be replaced, you're looking at a full transmission rebuild. The sunshell is all the way in the back of the transmission case, and you're coming in from the front... Might as well replace all the wearable parts in between while you're in there. I personally have not fully rebuilt a transmission yet, but from my experience dealing with the valvebody in one and from what I've read, it's not hard, but it does require being very organized and very clean while doing the rebuild to ensure nothing goes wrong. The good news is a 4L60E rebuild is one of the cheaper transmissions to rebuild. From what I understand, a Ford E4OD transmission costs well over 2 grand to rebuild!

4. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

5. bcranslow

bcranslow New Member

Well i found a rebuilt transmissin for not too much, so i think im gonna go that direction. But thanks for the suggestions!!:great: