4L60E Nothing above 2nd gear

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by smg427, Oct 12, 2009.

1. smg427

smg427 New Member

I just installed a used 4l60e in my 1993 silverado and it has reverse, 1st, and 2nd. I removed the trans fuse and it started in 3rd with the shifter in 1st. The speedometer works fine and I cleaned all of the connections. Where do I go from here? Thanks

I just pulled the codes; 66,67,81,82

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Drop the pan...... I bet one of the harnesses are loose on one of the solenoids.....

3. smg427

smg427 New Member

I dropped the pan and two of the plugs were loose. I put them on, filled it up, and still have the same problem. There is nothing after second unless I take the fuse out. After the test drive I checked for codes and there were none. Where do I go from here. Thanks

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have you verified that there is voltage at the transmission?

If it were my truck I would drive it with a scanner attached. Watching the scanner you can see if the PCM is commanding a 2-3 shift or not. If the PCM is commanding a 2-3 shift you may have a bad solenoid or a sticking valve. If the PCM is not commanding a 2-3 then I would be looking at the MLP data and the VSS.

Without a scanner you really have no clue what the computer is doing.

5. smg427

smg427 New Member

I found 12 volts at the shift solenoids and they both clicked when a ground was applied. Are there any other things I can check?

6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

A very common problem is harness goes open. You can check it with an Ohm meter and look for any open circuits. A scanner would allow you to do this from the comfort of the front seat.:glasses: