1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4L60E problem. Strange shifting into drive. Coming out of OD.

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by freightshaker, Mar 30, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. freightshaker

freightshaker New Member

I called myself looking around, but didn't find any threads that might pertain to my problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 5.3L with a 4L60E. I had the tranny worked on (supposedly rebuilt) a while back and it started exhibiting the following problems not long thereafter. I went back to the mechanic and, well, it was a "cash" transaction, i.e., no invoice and therefore no proof, and there was a little bit of a falling out when he wouldn't make it good.

When I shift into drive, I feel the "clunk" of it going into first gear, but when I give it gas to go, it doesn't move until it gets to about 900 rpm or so and then I feel another "clunk" and it starts moving, like it wasn't really in gear to begin with. It doesn't do this when I first crank up in the morning, only after driving a few miles and the tranny is warmed up a bit. I can put it dfirectly into second and it starts off normally.

It also has another problem which may be directly related. When going at highway speeds, if I start going down an incline and don't give it gas to "keep pressure" on it (which speeds me up), it will shift out of overdrive. Even on flat stretches, if it doesn't have pressure on it, it can shift out of OD. As long as I'm going uphill, it won't do it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Prognosis not good....sounds like you're in need of another rebuild...

3. aldepalma

aldepalma New Member

i had a similar problem in an sonoma witch also believe it or not has a 4l60e even tho it is a tiny truck. but mine would shift in and out of od whenever it wanted to even in cruise control. and my start off in 1st would sometimes take more rpms, and the 1st to 2nd shift would be supper hard. i tried flushing the tranny an changing the filter and it acctualy made it worse. then replaced the valve body and it cured the problem. after research i found that the solenoid rods would either wear out and make a burr or eventually start sticking and that is what caused the problem.

hope it helps and good luck

4. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

6. freightshaker

freightshaker New Member

I'm going to give this a try. Thanks!