1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4L60E Rebuild - Prices & Requirements

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Fraterado1855, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Fraterado1855

Fraterado1855 New Member

My 2000 Chevy Silverado LS Z71 5.3L Ext Cab + Long Box has seen better days.

I have had some lingering mechanical issues (bad shift solenoid) and now no second gear. Apparently my transmission was on its last leg and is in pretty rough shape.

My question is - what is a reasonable price for this rebuild. $2200 is my existing quote. The truck will be parked a few weeks while I try to amass as much money as possible, and I'll be hoping the sun holds up so I can keep riding the bike.

Now some questions to help me make some decisions:

• How difficult is this rebuild to do?
    • Is any special tooling required?
    • How heavy is a complete 4L60E?
    • How difficult is installation?
    • What kind of a hit to the value of the truck could I expect if I tried to sell it outright?

Though I have not done a ton of work on this car, I have done full engine swaps/transmission changes on other cars (DSMs), but nothing internal. There is a pretty good YouTube video that makes it look like a lot of work, but not overly daunting.. it will be all about time.. I'm guessing it will be a 5-7 day job for me.

I could pull one from a junkyard, but there's no guarantee to how long that one will last. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

2. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I had mine rebuilt by a local shop just over a year ago and it was $2150 all said and done.

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

$2200-fair price if they are taking it out-reinstalling it
    Lotta work-and learning curve if you DIY
    I would manage to do something wrong-and end up doing it twice if past history is any guide
    so I would pay the $$2200 if I had it-even with a video-pretty sure I would have a fair chance of getting it wrong the 1st time-too much work to do that twice
    Luck
    Charlie

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Will they quote a price for a remanned trans?
    Ive found over the last few years unless you need to keep original serial numbers its often cheaper to purchase a remanned trans than having yours rebuilt, remanned trans will normally come with some warranty also, where rebuilding your own rarely includes any type warranty.
    Looking around at a few National remanufacturers their prices avg. $1300 for carry out with warranty.
    And quite a few reputable installers will remove and replace for around $400, on my calculator that amounts to $1700, $500 less than the quote you have.

5. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

@tbplus10 makes a good point. Also check craigslist for transmissions. A couple of months ago I saw a guy selling a rebuilt and upgraded 4L60E for about $1800.

And for the record, the shop I got mine rebuilt offered me a 1-year warranty with the rebuild. All I had to do was bring the truck back to the shop within six weeks of having the trans rebuilt so they could run some post-rebuild diagnostics then my warranty was validated.

6. Fraterado1855

Fraterado1855 New Member

Those are all great points! I had not thought of a remanufactured transmission.

I'm going to park it for the next ~4wks to get some money together; but call the transmission shop this coming week.

Will keep everyone posted.