4L60e Rebuild question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by humant, Apr 23, 2013.

1. humant

humant New Member

Hey guys, I am working on rebuilding my 4l60e. Not real sure all the information you guys will need but please ask away. So here is my problem.

I have gotten to the point where I am installing the input drum, but once I get it fully engaged on all the clutches the output shaft becomes pretty difficult to rotate in one direction. If I go a step further and install the reverse input drum the output shaft becomes almost impossible to turn. What do you guys think I should look at?

I already took apart the input drum clutches and pistons and the reverse input clutches to make sure I installed them correctly and it looks right to me, anything else you guys might recommend?

Thanks for any input!

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the club!!

you didn't by chance replace the input shaft did you?? We ran into that same problem, and it turned out we had the wrong spline count. We had bought a 27 spline shaft, when we needed a 31 spline shaft. Just a thought,

3. humant

humant New Member

No I didn't replace the input shaft. Pretty much the only hardware I really am replacing is the pump. The rest of the tear down and build up was to just make sure I didn't miss any debris from the pump eating itself.

Thanks for the thought though. Also thanks for the welcome, its a little silly but I have actually been registered here since like 2008 I believe and just never been real big on posting stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the reason for the transmission rebuild:

The rotor of the pump pretty much ate itself
    IMG_20130403_191559.jpg
    And in process dug one of the vanes into the body of the pump. I tried pulling this vane out after the pictures, lets just say it is still in there...
    IMG_20130403_191710.jpg

The best part about all of this is that this trans was rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago but since I went over the 2 year warranty period they basically told me I was SOL!

4. Fraterado1855

Fraterado1855 New Member

Did you finish this rebuild? I am considering starting one myself, and I'd love to know when I'm getting myself in to. The $2200 price tag I'm getting quoted seems a bit much.