4L60E Shifter Cable

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by paradice01, Jul 9, 2007.

1. paradice01

paradice01 New Member

Hey, I need to replace the shifter cable on my 1999 tahoe 5.7L 4X4 with the 4L60E Transmission. Does anyone know if the 700R4 or 4L60 Shifter Cable is the same and will fit?. The dealer wants $150 for it, if there is a cheaper way Id rather go down that road. Thanks.

2. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site,
    If I'm not mistaken the 4L60E is completely electronic and it doesn't have a shifter cable :no:

3. paradice01

paradice01 New Member

It has a shifter cable, I wouldnt be asking about it if it didnt. Or maybe the newer 4l60E transmissions dont, but I have a 99 Tahoe Classic Style, I know the 98 Tahoes didnt have the 4l60E, only 99's, soooo It has a shifter cable.

4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Fyi

For more info on how the GM 4L60E shifts see Novak Conversions.
    Suffice to say: "The 4L60-E derives its designation from its specifications: 4-speeds, Longitudinally positioned, 6000 lbs. GVW, Electronically controlled, although the transmission sees factory service in trucks up to 8600 lbs. The strength of the 4L60-E has turned out to be remarkable. Now a darling of the transmission building aftermarket, the 4L60-E is capable of transmitting impressive power from both truck and performance car applications." Check www.gmpartsclub.com for new discount chevy parts, they will be cheaper than at your local dealer.

5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Have you tried the local parts stores, NAPA, Carquest, PEPBOYS, and anyone near you. Cables are available for my old 86 Pontiac Fiero even today for anything from the shifter cables to the E brake cables. You don’t have to buy parts just from the dealer. Most times they are the same cable at the parts stores at half the dealer prices.

Call you may be pleasantly surprised.