1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4l60e swap?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by JOHNNYBLACKEYE, Oct 19, 2009.

1. JOHNNYBLACKEYE

JOHNNYBLACKEYE New Member

I am done messing with this trans .my question is there any other trans that will swap out with the 4l60e in the tahoe?
  2. 7daughters

7daughters New Member

What year is the truck?
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The 4L60E transmission is just a part of your Powertrain. It is matched to the engine and drive train. Changing it to something else will cause problems and trouble codes. You could change it to a manual trans and change everything including the computer but that would be very expensive and foolish IMO.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What issues are you having with your 4L60E that is causing you to want to change it? It is a very strong and reliable transmission provided it is not ABUSED. If you keep blowing the transmission up due to abusing it, no transmission you install will provide better results.
  5. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

I beg to differ. (Picking a fight with a mod, look at me, lol). The 4L60 is terrible. There is a great, but expensive answer. I went through 5, yes 5!! 4L60's. All exept the stock ones were built as well. I'm the first to admit I beat the hell out of them. Swapping out to a 4L80 is the ticket. In turn you will need to install shorter drive shafts because the 80 is bigger physically than the 60 but well worth it. I ordered a Finish Line Transmission 4L80 Exteme Level 5 and have never had a problem since. Expensive but worth it (to me).
  6. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Incorrect. When done properly there are no issues or codes.
  7. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

We're all listening. Please enlighten us. Which trans will swap out without any issues? Curious minds want to know.
  8. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

If you read three posts up you would see.
  9. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

you can build your 4l60e with servos and billets and other stuff to be just as good, i know a couple of guys that are supercharged and putting alot of power down with there built 60es

4l80e is just as much trouble as putting a different kind of tranny like Jimmie pointed out... Its expensive.

there is more to putting a 80e than what you mentioned.

Jimmie > you.
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  10. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Lol. The guy was asking a question about "different transmissions". I'm the only one that answered his question, and in doing so, I also pointed out that it was expensive. Also, "expensive" is relative. Of course there is more to than what I mentioned, I'd didn't offer a step by step. I offered a suggestion.

As far as "knowing a couple of guys", we all know of people, I'm talking first hand.

Way to jump in and try to "save" Jimmy, lol. :great:
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009