1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4l60e swap?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by JOHNNYBLACKEYE, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just looked at the PCM wiring diagrams for both trucks. Rather than continue this argument I think we will just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that. Of course we can be friends because we have no enemies here on this forum. :happy:
  2. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you also have to modify the tranny X member for the 80e
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Jimmiee, could a PCM that was designed for a small-block chevy and 4L60E be flashed to run a small-block chevy and 4L80E? It seems that that motor/tranny combo had to somehow be possible considering most 1-ton duallys of the 90s bodystyle should have shipped in that combo? I don't know if the PCMs are physically the same with a different flash or not? I don't know enough about PCMs. :gasp:
  4. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

I assure you that I am not trying to rock any boats here but yes!!!!! That is what is done to mine. Stock ECU reprogrammed and all is good. I don't pretend to be able to tell you the behind the scenes workings, I can just tell you that it works, and works perfectly. I don't gain anything by trying to mislead anyone here, I'm only trying to help the guy who asked. I hate pissing contests and can just speak first hand. It works perfectly with my stock computer, period.
  5. Jimmiee

I didn't think it was possible but browsing through some other forums last night it looks like it has been before. TYMBOM says he has one in his truck so maybe he can tell us how its done and post up some pictures and links so we can all understand how this works. I wonder if Jenna Bear could chime in and tell us what needs to be done to make the conversion?
  6. Jimmiee

TYMBOM, We all would like to learn from your conversion. Do you know who reprogrammed your PCM? Did you do the work on your truck or did someone else do it? What kind of harness was used to make the conversion? Do you have any pictures of the conversion? Thanks!
  7. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

I had all my work done by a performance shop. That being said, a friend of my just finshed doing his own conversion in his garage. This is what he remembers about what had to be done.

Shortened rear drive shaft
    Longer front driveshaft
    different flywheel and spacer
    The wire harness/jumper to make it work with stock ECU ******
    Different cross member
    Different inspection cover
    Different mounting bolts and tailshaft if it was a half ton
    A new program in the stock ECU to make it all work great

Here is a link to a site that offers the conversion kit, all that's need after that is a program
    http://transmissioncenter.net/4l60e_to_4l80e_swap.htm

Anyone with tuning software can do the tune if they know what they are doing. The EFI Live programmer is supposed to be an easy one to do it on and my friend got his programmed from this company.
    http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/

See, no need to hate or for drama 2tone04, I'm not crazy :glasses:
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Looking at that site you linked to, all I see are conversions for LS1 motors to get 4L80E trans put behind them. You have a LS1 motor in your truck? I'm just curious if the computers beween LS1 and normal motors are the same. Neat conversion, especially with the conversion harness seeming so simple.
  9. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Correct but it is still the same stock ECU from my original 5.3L.
  10. Jimmiee

I just spent some time reading up on the swap over at HP Tuners. The way it works is the first thing you have to do is get your PCM programmed to a 4L80E with a Tech II scanner. Once you have done that you send them the bin file and they redo it for you. This is what changes the shift stratigy and solenoid firing orders. Then you have to get a 4L80 harness and rewire the PCM as like I mentioned in an earlier post all the wires are different from a 60 to an 80. Good reading HERE