1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4L60E to 4L80E Trans Swap in 96 K1500?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by BMason, Nov 21, 2011.

1. BMason

BMason New Member

I am a new member and this is my first post on this site.

Just got a 96 K1500 from my father in law, the engine was blown when he got it so I installed a 2000 5.7L. Engine swap went fine runs like a top, transmission on the other hand seems to slip trying to get third and then sticks in second. From all the similar posts that I've seen say the 3 and 4 clutches are most likely gone and it needs rebuild or replace.

My question is; would it be possible to install the 4L80E out of the 2000 Express Van (engine doner) in place of the 4L60E problem trans?

Thanks for any advice.
    Brian
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

Yes, it's possible... It's not exactly a just bolt in and go swap though... The cross-member has to be relocated back, the driveshaft/s have to be lengthened/shortened, the wiring plugs are different and have to be swapped, the computer has to be reprogrammed (or get an aftermarket controller for the trans)..... You'll also need a 4WD trans (unless you meant to say your truck is a C1500) or find a 4WD output shaft for the 4L80E, as well as swapping the input of the t-case or finding a t-case that will just bolt up behind the 4L80E..... So yes, it's possible..... but it'd be cheaper/easier to just replace/rebuild the 4L60E....
  3. BMason

BMason New Member

Thanks for the help. I think that I may have found a replacement if not I did find an experienced person to help with rebuild.