1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4L60E Tranny problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Kcolg, Mar 28, 2008.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Kcolg

Kcolg New Member

I have a 1994 Chevy Suburban with the 4L60E transmission and it went out on me or at least I think it did.

I stopped at a stop light and after taking off it slipped for a brief second and then took off again. I then stopped at the next light and when it was time to go, it would not. It acts as if it is in Nuetral. I still have reverse but no forward gears at all. No lound noises or anyother strange sounds just no more forward movement.

Since it is an electonically controlled unit I was hoping it was just some selonoid or something? I am not used to this tranny at all so any help is greatly appriciated.

2. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

mine did that before I had it rebuilt but it never got to the point where it never went forward. It would go but than it felt like it would skip past second and go right to third or just sometimes be in neutral than engage. I think there is a solenoid that goes from neutral to 1, 1 to 2, etc. (but dont quote me on that) so u may have a problem with the neutral to 1 solenoid... someone should be able to hel u tho sorry i couldnt be more of a help

3. Kcolg

Kcolg New Member

Thanks. Anyone else know or have some instie?

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The 4L60E uses a couple solenoids, so if 1/2 is out it should at least jump to 3rd gear. I wouldnt think all the solenoids would go at once, but stranger things have happened.
    Check the fluid first. Any burnt smells?
    At a guess it's time for a rebuild. The torque convertor is still working because you have reverse. Vehicles will sometimes move in reverse with a bad trans because reverse is a lower gear ratio and this makes it easier build inertia.