Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4L60E Transmission removal and overhaul

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Pete Japan, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Pete Japan

Pete Japan Member

I have spent just over half a day trying to remove my tranny from my 99 Burban. I'm not using a trans jack or lift to take it out and all is going well, I have only 2 bolts left to remove from the top of the tranny, and have found that there is very little room to move in there. I was unable to remove the exhaust crossover on both sides today again due to lack of space. I will be investing in an extion bar, the longest I can find to get the exhaust apart.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to remove a 4L60E?
    Is it better to remove the cross-member that holds up the back of the tranny?
    If I allow the back of the tranny to drop, will it be easier to get at the 2 top bolts? Will it tilt too far and damage the fan or any other parts?

Any and all input is welcome. I have a 4 volume manual on the way plus an extra manual for the transmission, but it will be a few more days before they arrive and I need to get this job started.

I will post photos later if I can.

Fingers crossed!

2. TMair

TMair Member

My first question is are you using or going to be using a jack of some kind to help support the trans?
    If you let the trans drop just a little it will make it a bit easier to get to the top bolts, if you have access to an impact wrench of some kind it will help to remove those bolts with a ling extension.
    I hope this helps.
    Terry

3. Pete Japan

Pete Japan Member

got it out with a modified trolly jack and aflat board i bolted to it. Once i removed the crossmember i was able to angle the trans and engine to gain better access

I now have an issue with the starter motor. Smoke came out about 3 kms after i started it up and checked everything.
    i am at a loss as to why this happened. Any thoughts?