1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4L80E In my 96 2500 Burban....

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Aureliametal, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Aureliametal

Aureliametal New Member

I have already spent 2,000 dollars on rebuilding my 4L80E and I put less than 2,000 miles on it and its gone again. Someone told me they are all electrical and that something electrical probably trashed it again. Anyone every hear of this?? I need to find out so I can fix it but I dont wanna put another tranny in it if its just gonna blow out again. Please help!!!! I miss my baby!!! Thanks, Joe
  2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What was the "failure mode"?
  3. Aureliametal

Aureliametal New Member

Failure Mode?

Im not sure what failure mode is. I can give you any info needed. I do know the check engine light was on when it was moving but I didnt have it checked. Thanks, a lot!!! Joe
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

This probably won't help you now,since you probably have a warranty and will get it rebuilt at the same place, but,

You can buy brand new GM transmission for about $2000(more like $2500 for the 4l80E) delivered. This is a genuine GM trans, not rebuilt. A 4L85E new- is cheaper than the 4L80E- do they interchange??Not that sharp on transmissions.

You get it from Pace Performance or Crate Engine Depot-the same places that will sell you a new Goodwrench 5.7 for $2200 delivered.

I just can't see trusting a shop I know nothing about to rebuild a trans when you can buy a new one for maybe $500 more than the rebuild.

You should be able to find a shop that will install your trans for maybe $600 or so.

Pointing out the obvious, but the rebuilders screwed up in some way. You don't have to worry about that with a new trans.
    One of the HUGE advantages Suburbans etc have over their Japanese and Ford and Dodge counterparts is that you can buy NEW factory motors/trans etc really cheap.Ford motors aren't as inexpensive, same story on Dodges, and the Japanese stuff is incredibly expensive for new motors trans etc.Granted, you rarely need a new motor before 150,000 miles, but trans frequently croak at 100,000 or so-especially if you tow etc)
    These are real new GM motors- not BS aftermarket rebuilds (some of which are great some are POS). Hard to beat $2000 for a new motor or trans.
    There are some high performance ones from good aftermarket companies for $2800-check Pace performance

Luck, Merry Christmas
    Charlie
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  5. Aureliametal

Aureliametal New Member

Thats what I was thinking but since I already spent around 2,000 on my tranny I think I wanna try to find a used one. The guy that built my tranny is a racing engine and tranny builder. I guess the 4L80 E was just to much for him. The first time he re-built it, it was shifting so hard into second that it was breaking the tires loose. That continued for about a week until the case cracked. Then he told me that I was going to have to buy a new case. Of course I told him to screw himself and he ended up covering it, since he left dirt in the shift plates....nice. After that he rebuilt it again and when I got it back it still didnt shift right. Could there be an electrical issue? I just wanna get a used tranny cause I use it for work and I have already put so much into it. Thanks, Joe
  6. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm with phoebeisis. Go new if you can't otherwise go with a tranny shop that stands behind their work. The labor to swap a tranny isn't cheap unless you are doing it yourself. Why pay good money to put a questionable used tranny in? If I'm on a tight budget I might go with a used part if it were something like an alternator, but no way with engine, tranny or differential.

Sorry to hear that you haven't been treated well by your mechanic, but don't throw good money after bad.
  7. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Your problem is that you had a guy build it that had no ideal what the hell he was doing, so basicly you lost that 2 grand. There are many trans shops out there that do quality work. Your problem is not electrical it's your builder.
  8. Aureliametal

Aureliametal New Member

Ok. So just to put things into perspective, no one here thinks its an electrical problem, everyone is in agreeance that it was just the guy that built it...That was my opinion.....I pretty much hate this guy and I would sue him if it hadn't been three years in between.
  9. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

You got it.
  10. Aureliametal

Aureliametal New Member

Well ok then. Thats what I was thinking originaly. The person that told me it was electrical thinks he knows everything and told me that I wouldnt be able to figure it out but Im gonna prove him wrong. Thanks for the help!!! Joe