4L80E question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by hearsekid, Mar 20, 2010.

1. hearsekid

hearsekid New Member

I've recently acquired a 3500 6.5 with a 4l80e missing reverse. I've got a spare tranny in the garage for the suburban, also a 4l80e. I've been looking for new ones online and i cant seem to find any difference in 2wd vs. 4wd.. Can i just remove the tailshaft and put it on the 4wd transmission and put it back in the truck? or do i need to buy a "diesel specific"? This is the first diesel i've owned so.. Don't really know much about the parts interchange crapola yet Thanks

2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If nobody answers, which I highly doubt, try to PM either Jimmiee or AirForeJoe. Jimmiee and Joe are very knowledgeable on transmissions.

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The 2WD has a longer output shaft than the 4X4 output shaft. They will not interchange. Also the diesel valve body is different.

4. hearsekid

hearsekid New Member

Okay, I've figured this is gonna be an expensive fix..not sure if it's even worth it yet.. One more question though.. Will a gas trans work with a diesel motor? I know the valve bodys are different, but will it work?

5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

No. Shift points will be excessivley low. You'll be in 4th before you get to 10mph. My cousing had a diesel-turned-gas suburban that the previous owner left the diesel tranny in with. Didn't work well at all.

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

shouldnt he be able to just swap the valve bodies???
    Mabey make 2 trannies into one... Just a thought mabey i am way off here as well..
    and to bad you dont live near MN if you didnt want the truck id be very happy to take it off your hands. j/k i really wanted a diesel truck..
    Oh and why not turn it into a stick if your gonna spend the money... WAY WAY more fun in my opinion....

7. hearsekid

hearsekid New Member

To quote the first part.. The way MY mind works.. The 4l80e is electronically shifted, thus, as long as u have the DIESEL computer to tell it WHEN to shift, it should shift correctly.. only difference would be the torque converter..

The second part.. I've considered that, but i've heard a lot of people down talk the GM standard trans when put behind a diesel, said they wont put up with much. And the clutch with flywheel is $700.. we'll see what happens i guess. I've considered rebuilding it, but can't seem to find the parts that work the reverse, GM has discontinued it and napa doesnt seem to have much luck finding it either. The cost is a little higher to put a standard in, only because i dont have one already and I'd have to buy one.

8. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

OH i understand that I do know that the Diesel STD trans seem to hold up alright.. Depends on what you really want to do with it. Me I dont haul anything over 5tons... So nothing to really worry about..
    Good luck with it hopefully you do get it up on the road there dont seem to be a lot of them left..