1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4L80E trick question

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by muffinman, Aug 13, 2007.

1. muffinman

muffinman New Member

My 04 sub which is 2 whl and is 3/4 ton has a 4L80E tranny and I am wondering if I can turn the converter on and off. The reason is that in my old sub which was a 96 2 whl 3/4 ton with a 5.7 and the same tranny, I could come off of the converter by a slight touch of the brake pedal. This was so cool when towing or going up a hill on overdrive. I have tried the same trick with the 04 but to no avail. The only thing I can do is depress the throttle down about 1 inch or so to get down a gear then let the throttle up a little.
  2. ljjcsautomotive

ljjcsautomotive New Member

The best thing you could do if you do allot of towing is get a programmer and adjust the transmission settings. I know edge products sell these type of programmers. I sell some on my site.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  3. collinsperformance

collinsperformance New Member

there is a sticker on my door that says when towing or heavy loads do not use the overdrive selection just use drive......mike
  4. mhgoldwing

mhgoldwing New Member

Muffinman..

I have 2000 1500 with 5.3L and same transmission. Do you have the Tow/Haul switch on shift lever? If so, engage the tow/haul mode as it changes the shift pattern of the tranny and does it quite well.

If you don't have towl/haul, use 3rd gear only.