4L80E trick question

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by muffinman, Aug 13, 2007.

1. muffinman

muffinman New Member

My 04 sub which is 2 whl and is 3/4 ton has a 4L80E tranny and I am wondering if I can turn the converter on and off. The reason is that in my old sub which was a 96 2 whl 3/4 ton with a 5.7 and the same tranny, I could come off of the converter by a slight touch of the brake pedal. This was so cool when towing or going up a hill on overdrive. I have tried the same trick with the 04 but to no avail. The only thing I can do is depress the throttle down about 1 inch or so to get down a gear then let the throttle up a little.

2. The best thing you could do if you do allot of towing is get a programmer and adjust the transmission settings. I know edge products sell these type of programmers. I sell some on my site.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  3. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

there is a sticker on my door that says when towing or heavy loads do not use the overdrive selection just use drive......mike

4. mhgoldwing

mhgoldwing New Member

Muffinman..

I have 2000 1500 with 5.3L and same transmission. Do you have the Tow/Haul switch on shift lever? If so, engage the tow/haul mode as it changes the shift pattern of the tranny and does it quite well.

If you don't have towl/haul, use 3rd gear only.