1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4WD Activation: Lever or Push Button?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Big_Mike, Aug 11, 2013.

?

4WD Lever or Pushbutton

1. Lever

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. Push-button

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. No preference

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Big_Mike

Big_Mike Member 100 Posts

Just a question to see what my fellow members think... Do you prefer the current push button 4WD activation or the "old school" shift levers like on the mid 90s and back trucks?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2013
  2. packerhead78

packerhead78 New Member

I like the push button personally. I have one on my 97 k1500 just seems like it goes quicker and smoother.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I prefer a shifter, theres nothing like moving moving the lever and feeling/hearing the clunk of locking it in.
    I actually converted the t case airshifter on my rockcrawler to lever actuated.
    And while were discussing this Id rather have manual locking hubs to, automated equipment seems to have to many finnicky and delicate switches and sensors.
    Never had manual hubs and manual t case fail to lock in, unless they were frozen, then a few seconds with a propane torch fixed that problem. Cant say it was as easy to field fix automated hubs and t cases.
  4. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Sure do miss my lever from my '06! Somethin more satisfying engaging the 4WD that way with a reasuring "thunk".
  5. Definitely prefer the floor levers on my '84 & '90 trucks along with the decent sized light in the instrument cluster showing that 4X4 is engaged. My '08 Silverado has a rotary dial with one little light the size of a pin head in the dial that is barely visible in the daylight.
  6. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm going to go against the grain here. Up until I lost my last job, I had two GM Trucks from 2007. One was the classic with the lever activation (the work provided truck) and the other is my personal Silverado NBS with the "autotrac" 4WD option, the little twisty knob selector (which is now my work truck). I got to try them both out in the mud and snow etc.
    At first I hated the new knob, but when it snows out here, I found that I prefer it over the lever. I like the haste free approach. Now, if I were a serious off-road guy as opposed of a site construction supervisor, I can see the multiple benefits to the lever. As mentioned above there is far less to break being the most obvious.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I like the manual shift as well, and btw, you can still get it in the WD trim level.
  8. kinson33

kinson33 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Another one against the grain here... but still in the middle like bornagainbiker55. I've had both up here, and when driving up i70 heading to the slopes the push-button is much more convenient, when everything works. Quite a few more components that could fail but for my DD I like the convenience factor. With that said... if I get a company car I wouldn't mind throwing a 5 or 6 speed manual shift as well as lever for the t-case :great:
  9. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

lever for sure, just cant trust electronics all the time when you need them most
  10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

4wd and manual trans shifters are my preference