1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4wd actuator install

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by RATRODKING, Feb 15, 2010.

1. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

guys, i will buy and install a new 4wd actuator/thermal linear actuator this week.
    is there anything special i need to know/do ?
    will any fluid leak when i remove it ?
    should i put any thread sealer/tape on the threads before installing ?
    any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
  2. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

i ordered it today from NAPA and will hopefully install it tomorrow.
    any suggestions ?

thanks
  3. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member

What vehicle are you doing it to...?
  4. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

sorry, i forgot to mention...its for my 1990 k-1500 4x4 with 5.7 engine.
    just curious if any oil will leak when i pull the original one out, and if i need any thread tape/sealer on the threads ?
    thanks much
  5. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member

I can't remember exactly, but I don't think anything leaked out when I changed mine in my '91 Z71... I swapped out the vacuum style actuator with the electric style... And I don't believe I put anything on the threads either... But it was a long time ago... Sorry I couldn't be more help...
  6. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

thanks so much....
  7. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

put my new one in today. wow, how easy it was. only a very little bit of oil leaked out, probably what was on the switch. cleaned the threads and mounting surface with brake cleaner, and put a little bit of permatex blue sealer on the mounting surface face,a nd tightened it up.
    hope to give it a try this weekend.
    thanks again./