1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4WD and minitruck forums?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Feb 13, 2009.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Just curious if anyone thinks that we need a 4WD/offroad and/or a minitruck subforums group someone on here? What would that look like if we were to do that?
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I don't have an answer, but here are my thoughts/observations:

We don't seem to have a lot of users who express a lot of interest in hardcore offroading. Even then, the Field of Dreams argument might come in to play ("If you build it, they will come").

My experience from other forums with a dedicated 4x4 and offroad forum suggests that most of the posts in such a forum will be trying to diagnose/fix 4x4 problems ("4wd doesn't work","service 4wd message", "broken hubs/axleshafts", etc.). These kind of questions can be served in a generic powertrain discussion forum, which we already have.

The next most common set of posts are about modifications (aftermarket locker/limited slip, lifts and tire size, transfer case swaps, etc.). To me, these can fit into appropriate existing forums (powertrain or suspension).

And finally, you get a few, "look where we went 4 wheeling" or "want to go with us to trail X" or "got stuck today, pictures", which are fun, but they represent a pretty small percentage, and maybe fit just fine in our "coffee shop" forum.

Basically, as I see it, a 4x4 and offroad forum would duplicate what we already have in other forums. Or, maybe it would be more accurate to say that such a forum would represent a "specialized sub-set" of these other forums. I don't know that current traffic loads in these other forums necessitates the creation of another forum to alleviate excess traffic on these forums.

On the other hand, there may be a set of "casual" or "temporary" users who choose to move on because they are looking for a 4x4 specific forum. Personally, I would visit, and participate in a 4x4/offroad specific forum.
  3. MWright936

MWright936 New Member 1000 Posts

I agree with MrShorty. Most (if not all) of the topics discussed in a 4x4 forum could fall under one of the categories already covered by existing forums. However, having a dedicated 4x4 forum may draw in more people just looking to share questions/ideas/experiences about 4-wheeling/off roading. I guess that's a pretty indecisive answer, lol! I can't really think of any negative aspects of the idea though, so I would say go for it!
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

4wd/minitrucks

Although I have 4x4 Silverado and worked at 4x4 shop for eight years I have to agree with Mr. Shorty and MWright936, there are enough 4x4 sites already.