4wd clunk

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by bry2500, Feb 4, 2009.

1. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Each time I drive in 4wd i hear a loud clunk, mostly during slow tight turning but also sometimes just when starting to move straight ahead.almost sounds like a u joint but super loud. I have checked every thin out and all seams tight and not worn. I know whata cv joint sounds like when it's going and this definitely is not a cv joint. I has almost a ping noise to it like if you were to push a dent out of sheet metal. Any thoughts?

also it is mostly when driving in reverse and turning.

2. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

4wd's don't like to turn tight when in 4wd, especially on dry pavement. A clunk in those situations is normal, but try to avoid them because it will damage the transfer case. The noise you hear when just starting out could be a little play in the transfer case. Someone else can probably help you some more.

3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like the 4wd binding up and releasing. Normal in 4H/4L on a good traction surface, though it does indicate that something will likely break if you continue the practice. 4H/4L should only be used when traction is poor enough to allow the wheels to slip.

I had a truck do something similar when I had mis matched tires (same size but different manufacturer). The size difference between manufacturers was enough to cause the drivetrain to bind up and release with a clunk.

4. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I do have different manufacturer tires, they are the same size but the rear look a smidge smaller. I thought it was an optical illusion because of the front end rake on the avalanche. Looks like I have to find 4 new tires. Thanks for the quick replies guys.

:great: