Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4wd clunk

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by bry2500, Feb 4, 2009.

1. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Each time I drive in 4wd i hear a loud clunk, mostly during slow tight turning but also sometimes just when starting to move straight ahead.almost sounds like a u joint but super loud. I have checked every thin out and all seams tight and not worn. I know whata cv joint sounds like when it's going and this definitely is not a cv joint. I has almost a ping noise to it like if you were to push a dent out of sheet metal. Any thoughts?

also it is mostly when driving in reverse and turning.

2. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

4wd's don't like to turn tight when in 4wd, especially on dry pavement. A clunk in those situations is normal, but try to avoid them because it will damage the transfer case. The noise you hear when just starting out could be a little play in the transfer case. Someone else can probably help you some more.

3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like the 4wd binding up and releasing. Normal in 4H/4L on a good traction surface, though it does indicate that something will likely break if you continue the practice. 4H/4L should only be used when traction is poor enough to allow the wheels to slip.

I had a truck do something similar when I had mis matched tires (same size but different manufacturer). The size difference between manufacturers was enough to cause the drivetrain to bind up and release with a clunk.

4. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I do have different manufacturer tires, they are the same size but the rear look a smidge smaller. I thought it was an optical illusion because of the front end rake on the avalanche. Looks like I have to find 4 new tires. Thanks for the quick replies guys.

:great: