1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!
  1. cibula11

cibula11 New Member

I'm looking at purchasing an '03 Tahoe LT. It says 4WD on the original window sticker and owner says it is, but on the dash I don't see 2 hi, 4 hi and 4 lo like you would expect. Instead there's only 3 buttons one has a pic of 4 wheels with the front turned slightly and the one below that says 4 lo.....

Is this AWD or how does it work? I'd rather not buy an AWD vehicle, but maybe I'm just confused.
  2. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Member

Hi cibula11: I have a 03 Tahoe and there are 4 buttons to the left of the wheel. top is AWD next is 2 wheel, 4 hi and 4 low.....
  3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member

Technically, Tahoe's (and any of the 4WD Chevy trucks) are 4WD because they are selectable. However, there is an AWD mode that you can select so that it's not in 4WD the whole time. My dad uses this in his pickup almost exclusively, and it drives me bananas.
  4. cibula11

cibula11 New Member

That's what i thought would be on it, but it only has a button that says neutral and then one with wheels turned to the right and then a 4 LO...I've googled it and can't seem to find exactly what the difference between 4wd and AWD....or how this relates to this vehicle

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

So...I found this thread: http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic238870.htm

Still wondering if someone could tell me if this option on the 03 Tahoe (which appears to be a denali drivetrain with the 4 lo option) is better or worse than a true 4WD option? Seems to be rare in any case.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

One of the biggest differences between AWD and 4 wheel drive is the percentage of power going to the front and rear wheels.
    Most AWD systems run roughly 35/65% front/rear, 4WD systems run closer to a 50/50% front/rear.
    AWD systems will always use a different transfer case than a 4WD system, in the AWD system the transfer case will have clutch's or some other device designed to allow wheel slippage so you dont break drivetrain parts as easily on dry paved surfaces.
    4WD normally will lock and grip on any surface while AWD slips if it gets to much traction.
    Other tha driving all 4 wheels at once (technically) the two systems really arent a like and have very different uses.
    4WD is really designed to be used of road on slippery surfaces while AWD is designed to aid traction on paved surfaces.
  6. cibula11

cibula11 New Member

Any idea then as to how this Tahoe compares to a standard 4WD or AWD....since it doesn't appear to be completely either?
  7. tbplus10

The difference will be in how you plan on using it.
    If you looking to build a lifted truck or want to use it to play off-road I'd look for something with traditional 4wd.
    If you want a decent handling road machine for inclement weather conditions then this vehicle should suffice.
    Even though its got 4 low/4 hi/2 hi this isnt a traditional T case, from what I could dig up it's a bastardized case GM used on a limited number of vehicles, with that in mind I personally would be leary of it because if anything ever happens it's gonna be hard to find parts and get rebuilt or repaired.
    I'd probably search for something with a standardized T case in it.
    But again that depends on your usage plans.
  8. cibula11

cibula11 New Member

Does it? This is what confuses me. There is not an option to stay in 2 hi.....it just give the option for 4 lo....as if it's full time 4WD with a 4 lo option....to me that would seem more like an awd. These are the buttons on the dash:

Top=Stabilitrac On/Off
    Middle=4 wheels
    Bottom=4 Lo

That said, I don't plan on going off road....just something to haul the family around in Iowa winters.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  9. tbplus10

Scratch that your right it doesnt include any 2wd options.
    Without 2wd fuel consumption might be a little higher too, but they have gotten better than they used to be about mpg.
    This case also deletes the neutral option which makes it a bad choice if you ever want to tow it behind an RV.
    But if you plans are to use it as a safe winter family truckster it should serve that purpose well.
  10. cibula11

cibula11 New Member

So, basically it's a full time 4WD....where all wheels are spinning at the same time/speed? or is there a difference between this one and an AWD?