1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4wd Pulls to left and right, very unstable

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Morpheus, Nov 24, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Morpheus

Morpheus New Member

Whats up guys? So to start off with this, I want to tell you guys what I've done to this thing so that you can maybe have a more clear way of answering or giving input to what my problem is. I have a 2000 GMC Sierra Z-71. I have upgraded my rear diff with a limited slip about 2 years ago. I have also leveled it and replaced the T-case and the front diff. The T-case is from a suburban and the front diff is from another Z-71. When I put this thing in 4wd the front end wants to pull to the left and to the right. It doesn't want to track just straight. It's not something that you "can just tolerate" either as it's dangerous driving this way in the snow. Any ideas of what would be causing this thing to not track straight in 4wd?
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

so the rear diff now has the same gear ratio as the old open diff you replaced .

all tires are of the same wear and size ?
  3. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

Apparently, The front diff has an incompatible gear ratio with the rear diff. When engaged, the front axle is turning at a different rate than the rear axle causing the thing to act as if one front tire is always slipping, thus transferring differential loading back and forth while in the act of turning the steering wheel to one side or the other. This is extemely dangeroous and even while in 2wd can damage your front diff and the transfer case.