1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4wd truck performance

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Conlan Rose, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

up here in ct it snowed/slushed last night and this morning i drove to school in 4wd hi. the truck felt a lot sportier in 4wd it accelerated better, braked much better, and drove like there wasnt an inch of slush on the ground. has any one else had this kind of feeling from their truck or these results.
  2. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

With the front tires pulling it will give it a different feel while driving for sure. It would making your steering touchy or tighter feeling and thats how it made it feel sporty. Of course 4 dub creates more grip so maybe thats why it seemed to have better acceleration.
  3. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There is nothing like blasting around in heavy snow in 4WD. It make your truck feel invincible. You have to be careful though, because it will handle great in snow and slush but 4wd on Black Ice will not help you. In fact I actually think it makes it worse to try and recover if you find yourself in that predicament!!!
  4. ChevyHD

ChevyHD Rockstar 100 Posts

That predicament is scary because you keep over-correcting yourself! Been there before!! lol
  5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

deffentally love the invincibility feeling lol. and yah lucky it was in mid thirties not below freezing so no ice.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I always laugh when I see people in 4wd vehicles in ditches because they forget that 4wd may get you where you want to be ... but it doesn't help you stop any better. Don't let that be you!
  7. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I used to hook my winch up and pull those idiots out of bad situations. Of course I didnt charge most. Now if you blew by me then you were in th ditch up the road a piece I would stop and make sure you are alright then offer to tug you out for 50 bucks . when they wouldn't pay I just drove off.
  8. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Winches are expensive tools. In the unlikely event of local snow I'll be quite mercenary when it comes to stupid people, as that'll help pay for the cost of the tool in which I've invested. Those who have no interest in helping cover the cost of that tool can pay a towing company AND wait for a tow truck to arrive. :)