1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4x10 to 6x9 speaker conversion

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by sed777, Jan 25, 2012.

1. sed777

sed777 New Member

I saw some adapters on ebay. I was thinking about converting the rear deck of my 97 suburban.

Has anyone ever tried a conversion?

2. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I've done 4x6 to 5.25 and 4x6 to 6.5 conversion and was pretty pleased with the sound. Never done a 4x6 to 6x9 conversion. That's a pretty large speaker though. If it were me I would go to a round speaker, the sound replication is more accurate.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This x2. :great:

4. darkness-lies-

darkness-lies- Member 2 Years 100 Posts

ill x3 that

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can EASILY put a 5 1/4 round in the opening for a 4x10 (if you want a pic of mine i can get youe one)!! Any speaker that has an "x" in it sucks, they are dead and anitquated, stay with round speakers

6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Eh....I guess I will keep it going..... X4 that

7. sed777

sed777 New Member

Holy crap, ok then!
    I need pics and info if i need an adapter or what?!?

8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I'v done it in 2 of my old Tahoes. Made the adp out of wood. Used a good 6 1/2. What year is your Sub? If you have a 95 or newer I would just upgrade the door speakers you will never hear the rear roof speaker. The 4x10 NOT 4x6 in the roof is like a Big horn tweeter Pioneer TSA 4103 and Kenwood made them for the aftermarket but they too did not sound well..

9. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You will want to upgrade those rears as the door speakers are wired to the front not the rear. I have a pic but it is too large of file to upload to this site so you could message me your email and can send it

10. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I'm not running rears anymore in my setup and I have a smaller cab being how it's only an extended cab. Rears are mostly filler and can actually do harm to sound quality at times.