4x10 to 6x9 speaker conversion

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by sed777, Jan 25, 2012.

1. sed777

sed777 New Member

I saw some adapters on ebay. I was thinking about converting the rear deck of my 97 suburban.

Has anyone ever tried a conversion?

2. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I've done 4x6 to 5.25 and 4x6 to 6.5 conversion and was pretty pleased with the sound. Never done a 4x6 to 6x9 conversion. That's a pretty large speaker though. If it were me I would go to a round speaker, the sound replication is more accurate.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This x2. :great:

4. darkness-lies-

darkness-lies- Member 2 Years 100 Posts

ill x3 that

5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You can EASILY put a 5 1/4 round in the opening for a 4x10 (if you want a pic of mine i can get youe one)!! Any speaker that has an "x" in it sucks, they are dead and anitquated, stay with round speakers

6. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Eh....I guess I will keep it going..... X4 that

7. sed777

sed777 New Member

Holy crap, ok then!
    I need pics and info if i need an adapter or what?!?

8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I'v done it in 2 of my old Tahoes. Made the adp out of wood. Used a good 6 1/2. What year is your Sub? If you have a 95 or newer I would just upgrade the door speakers you will never hear the rear roof speaker. The 4x10 NOT 4x6 in the roof is like a Big horn tweeter Pioneer TSA 4103 and Kenwood made them for the aftermarket but they too did not sound well..

9. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You will want to upgrade those rears as the door speakers are wired to the front not the rear. I have a pic but it is too large of file to upload to this site so you could message me your email and can send it

10. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I'm not running rears anymore in my setup and I have a smaller cab being how it's only an extended cab. Rears are mostly filler and can actually do harm to sound quality at times.