4X2 / 4X4 body swap advice.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by amc401, Oct 27, 2010.

1. amc401

amc401 New Member

Ok, Yes I can go buy a 4X4 but I dont want to!! I have a 2000 Silverado LS with a 4.8L, Auto trans, extended cab 4X2. I am picking up a 2001 Silverado LT with a 5.3L, auto, extended cab, 4x4. The 4x4 body and interior is trash, but the driveline is great. For around 2k and some labor I want to swap the body. ( Cab, front clip, bed ) Everything is straight forward to me, but the 4x4 system. The only thing I am keeping from the 4x4 cab is the computer and whatever 4x4 switches/ wires I need.

Here is where I need the help. I think.

How is the 4x4 wired through the truck?

I think the 4x4 push button switch is wired from the switch to the computer.
    I dont know where the TCase wires go to. I think they go to the fuse box under the hood. I assume the wire harness on my 4x2 is the same as the 4x4 just some wires aren't fused or connected.

Any help on where to begin or how to do this would be great.

Thanks.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

I would swap the entire harness over just to make it easier since while you are doing the swap it is easy since everything is in plain view. Plus then you know you have everything hooked up right and there arent any modified spots in the harness that you will have to worry about! but it really is as straight forward as that.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Yep, this is a much better idea-easier, smoother-than folks who convert their 4x2 to a 4x4 by trying to graft 4x4 parts onto their 4x2 frame.

GM stuff-the body etc- is probably standard enough to make this an "easy" switch.
    This is probably cheaper also.
    Besides, you can sell off the parts you don't use and defray your cost.
    Doing the entire harness like Murdog suggests will make life easier.

Yes, this is a smart move.
    Of course lots of folks like the challenge of turning a 4x2 into a 4x4-nothing wrong with that-but it is doing it the hard way.

Luck
    Charlie