1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4x4 differential fluid change??

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by TrailFiend, Feb 11, 2008.

1. TrailFiend

TrailFiend New Member

im going to have my fluid changed tommorow morning, but i dont know if i should use friction modifier or not. i have the g80 rear-end which calls for 80-90w. im not using synthetic oil, so i need to know if i need friction modifier or not? thanks.
  2. cao88c

cao88c New Member

Friction modifiers are generally used for lockers/ limited slip diffs. If you're running an open carrier, you should not need it. Check the FSM to see if it calls for it. Also, if you use Royal purple diff fluid, it already has it.
  3. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 New Member 1000 Posts

I think that you should put it in seeing as the G80 is a limited slip locker.
  4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

yea it cant hurt to put it in i use it in my truck and i use it in all the trucks i use at work ( which are all fords :( )
  5. TrailFiend

TrailFiend New Member

well, i put it in and it feels way better than it did before...it hadnt been changed in 116k miles!!! im so glad to have saved this truck from a bad owner. i had both diffs. and the transfer case changed. i cant wait to order my eaton e-locker and put that in, which i will then put synthetic oil in there. i got to see my g80...:rofl: what a joke! lol