1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4X4 in D/3/2/1

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Big_Ben, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

Just a quick question:

Does putting your shifter to 3, 2 or 1 when 4WD is engaged give you same advantage as when in 2WD?

This feels like a really stupid question, but I only off-road with ATVs and generally use my 4WD in the winter mostly or muddy cottage roads in spring/summer, so I've never really had the chance to compare what's best for various scenarios.

i.e. you need to pull another vehicle out of a snowbank in winter, and your truck is in a few inches of snow - 4X4 generally does the trick in Drive but would 3, 2 or 1 make it better?
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  2. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado New Member

no its the same... if its in 4 its will still be in 4. if its in 2 it will still be in 2... all it does is hold it in that gear (to a certain point- if you truck thinks that keeping it there is not good for it, it will shift up past it) but if you put it in 3 it will still launch in first or second like normal and then shift up to three but not go into 4 or OD. same with 2... does that make any sense?
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

2 is the most unique position in the trucks I'm familiar with (in other words, I'm not sure this is universal, but it does apply to my Suburban). In 2nd gear, the transmission will start out in 2nd gear, where in every other position it starts out in 1st. 1st gear, naturally, is a lower gear ratio which means more torque at the wheels. Under certain circumstances, it is easier to start out in 2nd because it is less likely to spin out than it is in 1st. Does that make sense? -- I don't know if I explained that well.

This can be especially useful in 4L when you're also applying the transfer case gear reduction.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Big_Ben

Big_Ben New Member

This is what I was wondering. That's what I'm used to, where you put it in 2nd and it starts in 2nd to aid with not spinning in snow creating ice. So it WILL help in 4WD?
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

When I go off-road with my '05, either in 4L or 4H I keep my tranny in 3rd. I don't use the 4overdrive. I don't know how true, but I was told this is easier on the trans.
  6. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado New Member

I can honestly say i didnt know if you put it in 2 it will always launch in second. but yeah when i offorad i use 4 hi in 3.... and when going down deep hills i drop it in 1 to keep it geared down... if what im offroading in is some nasty **** or really hilly and i will be going super slow i use 4 low.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

although i dont Offraod much in my 05 HD. we take our other trucks to go offroading all the time... o usually bring back my truck halfway in to a flat ground meeting spot incase one of the other trucks break down we have a dependable strong one there to help out lol
  7. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts

That's different than the new trannys. If I put mine in 3, it will shift up and down through the gears as high as 3rd, but will not go to 4. I think that's a slight difference from the 4L60E. It's a nice feature that allows me to keep my speed in check on hills, or keep out of OD when needed.