4x4 low transfer case noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bandy, Mar 23, 2009.

1. bandy

bandy New Member

1500 hd 2001 6.0 litre 4l80e autotrac tcase

button shift

When I engage my 4 Low gear, I hear a loud clung... and it does not engage at all. Then, when I try to put it into neutral and then succeed to put into 4 Low, again, I have a loud clung. When I finally succeed to kick into 4 Low, I have all the trouble in the world to get it back to 2 Hi.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is?:grrrrrr:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What year/model? push button shift or lever shift?

3. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

It may be the Transfer Case Actuator which is not allowing full engagement of your gear selection. Your TC is an NVG246 which has clutches for the Auto 4WD feature.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  4. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are there any problems geting it into 4 hi?
    Are you comming to a full stop before you engage 4 low? If not, put the truck into a full stop, put the tranny in neutral and try 4 low.
    I'm not sure how autocase works but give it a try.

5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Make sure all 4 tires are the exact same size. If the tires are not a matched set the truck will be very hard to shift in and out of low range.

6. bandy

bandy New Member

yes np 246 t case auto 4x4

7. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When you try to get back to 2wd, put it in reverse, then back in drive. It should kick it out of 4.

8. GOTSAND4ME2

GOTSAND4ME2 Rockstar

hi there
    I have the same exact problem with my 2000 1500 silvy. Usually after a couple of tries it goes into and the comes out of 4 low never seemed to bother me since I dont four wheel in a rush, just like to take my time:lol:

9. rfrankli

rfrankli New Member

Jaqson:

I have similar problem (and truck as yours)- except 4 low will not light-up or engage. I now have a 4wd service light on. Question- how do I determine which transfer case I have so that I know whether to use Dexron III or ATC Fluid instead (I know they are NOT interchangeable).

Thanks,
    Robb
    99 GMC Suburban k2500 7.4L
    204k miles (have owned truck only 4 months).

10. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

There is a tag on the back end of your T-case with the model number on it. I think your case is either a 241 or 243, I'm not positive. If your not sure go to the dealer and give them the VIN from your truck and they will be able to tell you which T-case you have and what type of fluid to use.