1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4X4 problems again...

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 95CTburb19, Oct 15, 2007.

1. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Same problem as right before my CV snapped the last time except with no snapped CV....yet. The truck seems like it is not fully out of 4wd. Tried backing up, tried hitting actuator with a hammer with no results. I can do a burnout but when Im driving every now and then the wheel will jerk one way or the other does not feel good. Almost feels like the front wheels are fighting eachother. If I'm going perfectly straight there no problem, but any turn and im gettin the twitch. I can't deal with this anymore I think its the end of offroading for my old burb. Does this sound like actuator is bad or T-case issues? :grrrrrr:

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like a bad CV joint. Did you replace both?

3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was kinda thinking you might have to clean and repack front hubs. Mud, Water, Dirt in there? They act weird when they get dry and contaminants in there. Just a thought.

4. 95CTburb19

only replaced one CV. I don't have the loud clicks like I did when the other one broke.

5. unplugged

That's kinda like replacing one wheel bearing. Sure a CV can fail prematurely especially if the boot leaks, but as a rule, they should be replaced together. I had a fwd minivan that started rumbling during acceleration in a corner. Drove it that way for months then bang it broke on the drivers side. The tranny shop was thinking transmission but a quick look with the boot off and the problem was obvious. Only replaced one side and the other was gone in less that 6 months. Keep us posted on what you find.

6. 95CTburb19

CV was gone and I also "blew apart" my front axle shaft. $225 for everything. I think I'm done 4 wheelin for a while I cant afford to spend that kind of money every two weeks.

7. unplugged

Are you talking Rubicon style off roading or just banging around in the outback? See the Rubicon on youtube
    With my current setup I'll have to stick to more reasonable trails, but if I can get my hands on an old Blazer who knows?

8. 95CTburb19

haha no rock crawling for the suburban. just the rut filled trails that are near my house. I don't even beat on it i dont get how I can break so much stuff. :neutral:

9. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

CV joints do go, older the vehicle the more likely they are to go when running over potholes, 4 wheeling or not. Replace the second one and you should be good for another 200K.