1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4x4 question k2500 burb

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Mikeyb918, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Mikeyb918

Mikeyb918 New Member

I found a 2500 suburban I'm probably going to be picking up how ever just have a question for you guys. Every 4x4 I've ever had you changed to 4wd in neutral. This one grinds pretty bad and won't go back into park if changed in neutral.... How ever if you shift into 4wd high or low in park it works just fine? Am I doing something wrong or is this truck supposed to be shifted in park.. Floor shifter btw and all my experience is with push button
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I use neutral (while stopped) on my truck (push button) for 4lo -- to engage and disengage.

• Are you fully stopped or rolling? I've read that some manuals shift into 4lo better while rolling at 1-3mph, while others mesh better when stopped. Perhaps try each and see which works better. More than 3mph is bad mojo...
    • Are you using a fairly strong motion to bring it fully into 4lo when making the shift? I recall from driving one years ago that you need to be very deliberate about your shift...
    • Will it disengage from 4lo if you put it in reverse and then back in drive? (I'd hope so...)
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

All t-cases require that you are stopped before shifting into 4LO, the older t-cases required that you are stopped before shifting into 4HI. The newer cases will shift into 4HI, on the fly.

The year of the burb will help answer your question.
  4. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

What year is it?
    Mines a '99 - pull 4hi on the fly, up to 45mph. Push 4lo in one stroke, 0-3mph, tranny in neutral.
    Going back to 2hi is the reverse - from 4hi push on the fly. from 4lo pull in one stroke, 0-3mph, tranny in neutral.

Good luck,
  5. Mikeyb918

Mikeyb918 New Member

i apologize it's a 96 and I tried all this with the vehicle stopped when In neutral it grinds I can get in with enough force but in park it's no grind and goes right in. If I do it in neutral and force it then it won't got back into park
  6. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I haven't experienced that before. Does the drivetrain perform ok normally? There may be something hung up in the linkage, too.
    Maybe RayVoy can shed some more light, or ask the question in the drivetrain forum for a bigger audience.
  7. Mikeyb918

Mikeyb918 New Member

Truck performs flawless! In all other ways
  8. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Here is a trouble shooting/parts manual for the NP241 (I suspect that is what you have. I found it on a D*dge forum, but all trucks use NP cases.): http://www3.telus.net/radioboy/transfer case overhaul.pdf

I can not find the proper why to shift into 4LO for this case (maybe PARK is the correct way).