Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4x4 rear swap ?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by RATRODKING, Apr 4, 2009.

1. RATRODKING

RATRODKING Rockstar 100 Posts

guys.
    my nephew has a 1994 chevy k-1500 short bed 4x4 truck. the rear ring and pinion and spider gears are shot.
    will a 2 wheel drive rear work in his 4x4 ?
    gotta start looking at the local junk years, and there are more 2x4's than 4x4's.

thanks..

leonard

2. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

as long as the gears are the same as the front i'm sure it would be fine.

3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i dont see why not as long as the gears are the same, as carpenterguy said

4. RATRODKING

thanks for the help guys.. i will hopefully tear into it this week and know more.

has any of you ever changed only the spider gearsa nd pins ? are they a apin to change ?
    anything i should know about them ?

thanks again..leonard

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Changing the pinon and gears is a time consuming and technical task that if you dont have previous experience can turn into a nightmare, you have to test fit and measure the gears by assembling them in the axle and patterning where the gear rides, then shim them if neccessary to get a perfect fit.
    If your gonna buy used gears from a wrecking yard a good alternative to this would be to buy the whole axle and replace it as a unit, this way all you might hacve to do is swap over the brake components, depending on how the ones on the donor truck look.

6. RATRODKING

yes, that is what i plan to do, if need be, buy a complete rear axle from a junk yard.

thanks..

leonard

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The existing axle is probably a 10 bolt, so just look for a 10 bolt with the same gears and it should be a direct bolt in.

8. RATRODKING

well, i have not had the time to look at my nephews truck, but he pulled the cover off the rear, and found some needle bearings in the bottom of the housing. not good, i know.

he called a drivetrain place today and they said about 600-700 bucks to fix, so he called chevy and found out what gears he has, 3.73.
    he went to a junk yard and they have a comlpete housing for 300 bucks, so i think that is the route we will go.

his is a 4x4 truck,a nd the housing he looked at was a 2 wheel drive v-6 truck. his is v-8 4x4.
    he is measuring the housing diameter, overall width, and leaf spring perch width, and if its the same, it looks like he will buy it,a nd i will help install it.

he also found the junk yard housing to have the same 3.73 ratio.

leonard