1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4X4 Silverado need help in Blizzard snow fall

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by times1, Feb 10, 2010.

1. times1

times1 New Member

09 Silverado 4X4 with 18" Blizzaks and can't move in snow above 20 inches. I've tried 4X4H and 4X4L and it continues to "bottom out" in the snow. I'm stranded on a private road until local farmer shows up with Bobcat. I need suggestions to handle this situation. Chains, lift kit, what can I do?
    :frown:
  2. wis bang

wis bang New Member 100 Posts

They sell cat tracks to replace your wheels & tires but they are pricy...

20" of snow can be tough as your axles aren't more than 8" - 9" off the ground so you have to push 10" - 12" of snow w/ the bottom and front of your truck. Lift kits and larger wheels/tires only add so much more clearance...
  3. philsz71

philsz71 New Member

smaller rims bigger tires....try letting some air out of the tire to get a bigger footprint!!!
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I dont think bigger tires or a lift will be worth it. First off how often does the east coast get slammed like this last week? Second you have a low hanging front facia for improved aerodynamics and fuel mileage so they just become a plow that doesnt move anything. And like previously stated your axles arnet more then 10" off the ground which is where alot of your hangup is gonna be. So really i guess you are just stuck, so to speak.
  5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Like everyone said there's not much you can do, insufficient ground clearance is the problem. To get through 20" of snow without it piling up around the bottom of the truck you would need to double your ground clearance, assuming your current tires are 30" you would need 50" tires to gain the clearance!! A bit impractical if you ask me, I'd just wait for the Bobcat.
  6. Greg84

Greg84 New Member 100 Posts

You could try throwing some weight (like 300-400 lbs) in the bed over the axle to help the rear get more traction.
  7. Big75

Big75 New Member 100 Posts

air down to about 15 psi. and keep a shovel in the bed. 20" though, that's some nasty stuff.
  8. Shooter

Shooter New Member 100 Posts

How about an 8 foot plow..and plow it down to 8 inches and drive out over it?
    Just kidding of course..:)
  9. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member 100 Posts

move to Texas...lol..
  10. wis bang

wis bang New Member 100 Posts

My youngest daugher just sent me a text that it is snowing in College Station, TX ! ! !

That's only a little over an hour north of Houston!

[Go Aggies!]