1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4x4 tranny question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by roninbrad, Mar 2, 2010.

1. roninbrad

roninbrad New Member

let me start by saying hello and telling you guys {and gals} how helpful and educational this site is.especially to newbies like me!ok now for my question. i have a 84 4x4 silverado with a turbo 350 tranny thats shot.I was told today by a car guy that i could put a tranny out of a 2wd car or truck in my truck and all i had to do was cut a couple inches off the tail and buy an adapter plate and some studs and it would be just fine; 4wd an all.is this true?
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

Sorry man, I can't help. I just read "tranny" and had to visit :rofl:

I'm sure someone on here will be more mature and helpful than I was :glasses:
  3. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

I would think you need the tail housing from a 4x4 and the output shaft has to fit the transfer case...
  4. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Yeea.... Uh... NO.... The guy that told you that is an idiot..... You'll need to find a 4WD Transmission......
  5. Gambit

Gambit Rockstar 100 Posts

Even if it were true why bother with that kind of hassel? A 700R can be gotten pretty cheap and it is a great 4wd tranny and it has over drive on top of it.
  6. jobie9231

jobie9231 New Member

Yes you can do it. I have had to do it a few times because the lack of 4x4 trans.With the trans out and on the ground and the adapter that bolts between the trans and the t-case still on the trans measure amount of shaft sticking out out the adapter plate.Now with that measurement, take the adapter plate off the 4x4 trans and bolt to 2WD trans.The measurement you took from the shaft on the 4x4 trans that was sticking out is the amount of shaft you want sticking out of the 2WD trans.Thats it. It will look like theres not much shaft there but thats all that will slip into the t-case.Or you can take apart trans and switch the tail shafts and you wont have to cut at all.If your not into getting into the trans parts its the fastest way of getting it done and will work great..Good luck
  7. Joeairforce

:no: Do this method if you want to tear something up and have to replace more than just a transmission.......

Find a 4x4 trans or have yours rebuilt if you want to do it right and have it last.....
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  8. roninbrad

roninbrad New Member

what does putting the 700r in place of the turbo 350 consist of? as far as spedo cables ,linkage,etc. is it a straigt bolt on or what.that od would be nice going down the road.
  9. Joeairforce

No, it would not be a straight bolt on process.... It's very doable though... It would require finding the trans, getting the rear drive-shaft shortened, front drive-shaft lengthened, moving the cross-member, getting a transfer case that fits the 700.....

Here's a link that describes how to do it on a 2WD...

http://transmissioncenter.net/700R4_Swap_Info.htm