1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

4X4 troubles :'( -01 Suburban-

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by I-Am-Fisk, Oct 31, 2012.

1. I-Am-Fisk

I-Am-Fisk New Member

I can engage my 4x4 both high and low with no problem its when i turn that the problem becomes noticeable. when i turn you feel a grinding and a popping or shuttering and it just feels like death. Im trying to do all I can by myself so any help would be nice. Thank you -Fisk

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

are you on dry pavement when you are in 4x4?

3. I-Am-Fisk

I-Am-Fisk New Member

Yes, I havnt had the time to test it in some mud/sand yet. Do think that really makes a difference?

4. Pikey

YES!! read your owners manual. If you don't have one, do some research before you break something. You will destroy your front gears if you drive on dry pavement in 4x4 too often. Every 4x4 does what you are saying if you drive them on dry pavement with the front axle engaged, some worse than others. Just drive down a dirt road and test it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  5. I-Am-Fisk

I-Am-Fisk New Member

So then what will happen when I need it in snow?

6. Pikey

I said DRY pavement. You can not use it on dry pavement. All The tires move at a different speed then each other in 4x4, so you need a surface that lets the tires slip a little so there is no binding.

7. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What you need to understand is that, in 4H and 4L, the front and rear driveshafts are locked together at the transfer case so that they have to spin at the same speed. As noted, when you turn, the front end goes through a longer arc and needs to spin faster. Because it is locked at the transfer case, it can't, and you get that binding, scuffing, popping, hopping, etc. As noted, this can cause something to break. (It seems like howstuffworks used to have an animation that shows how this works).

It won't be near as noticeable on snow, because the tires will be able to slip against the road surface easily. If you hang your head out of the window in a tight turn on snow, you will be able to see the front wheels slipping/scuffing, but you won't feel it near as much on snow because the tires can slip easily.

8. I-Am-Fisk

I-Am-Fisk New Member

Cool thanks guys that takes a huge load off thank you

9. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

My 98 Burb has 4H, 4L and AUTO 4 wheel drive which is basically all wheel drive. If you are running AUTO 4 wheel drive, dry patches in the pavement won't add up to long term damage.