1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

4X8 Plywood

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Tom Evans, Aug 24, 2007.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Tom Evans

Tom Evans New Member

Will a 2002 Suburban carry a 4X8 sheet of plywood flat? My old 1990 Suburban would do it, but it got totaled last weekend.
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Good question. I would think so, but I cannot say for sure.
    I do know that the Avalanche is built on the same foundation as the suburban, and our 2002 Avalanche can carry 4x8 sheets of just about anything, plywood, sheetrock...etc

Based on that I would say yes, but again there are some differences. Best way to know is to go out there with a tape measure, and check it out. OR Just go take the chance that it will be fine, and start loading 'er up!
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

a 2007 Suburban will NOT carry 4x8 plywood, but a 1998 Suburban will. At some point, GM moved the Suburban platform to a total people mover vehicle, w/o much consideration for construction-type cargo. I'm not sure where that turning point was, 2002, 2004, 2006?
  4. TA Dave

TA Dave New Member

A friend with an 05 2500 burban went to trade it in on an 07 and didn't like them at all. He said it was not a problem to reach the pass side door from the drivers seat, something I couldn't do in my 06 (2500 truck) , or his 05...

I'd guess that the new body style is the changeover time frame. :(
  5. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hmmm....we need to have someone get a 4x8 sheet of plywood and go shopping eh? Cars.com has a review of the 03 Suburban and notes that it can carry a full sheet of plywood. I'd have to pass on a burb that won't do double duty as a Home Depot hauler.
  6. Tom Evans

Tom Evans New Member

Well Gents, I took a tape measure with me. The 2002 Suburban measures 49.5" from side to side. Penty for a 4X8 piece of anything.
  7. hotwheels93

hotwheels93 New Member

I ain't a-gonna get rid of my '93 til it falls apart!!! (Since I'm a mechanic, that'll be a very long time from now.) Best of all, the wife agrees. I haven't yet found anything it will not haul.