4X8 Plywood

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Tom Evans, Aug 24, 2007.

Newest Photos

1. Tom Evans

Tom Evans New Member

Will a 2002 Suburban carry a 4X8 sheet of plywood flat? My old 1990 Suburban would do it, but it got totaled last weekend.
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Good question. I would think so, but I cannot say for sure.
    I do know that the Avalanche is built on the same foundation as the suburban, and our 2002 Avalanche can carry 4x8 sheets of just about anything, plywood, sheetrock...etc

Based on that I would say yes, but again there are some differences. Best way to know is to go out there with a tape measure, and check it out. OR Just go take the chance that it will be fine, and start loading 'er up!
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

a 2007 Suburban will NOT carry 4x8 plywood, but a 1998 Suburban will. At some point, GM moved the Suburban platform to a total people mover vehicle, w/o much consideration for construction-type cargo. I'm not sure where that turning point was, 2002, 2004, 2006?
  4. TA Dave

TA Dave New Member

A friend with an 05 2500 burban went to trade it in on an 07 and didn't like them at all. He said it was not a problem to reach the pass side door from the drivers seat, something I couldn't do in my 06 (2500 truck) , or his 05...

I'd guess that the new body style is the changeover time frame. :(
  5. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hmmm....we need to have someone get a 4x8 sheet of plywood and go shopping eh? Cars.com has a review of the 03 Suburban and notes that it can carry a full sheet of plywood. I'd have to pass on a burb that won't do double duty as a Home Depot hauler.
  6. Tom Evans

Tom Evans New Member

Well Gents, I took a tape measure with me. The 2002 Suburban measures 49.5" from side to side. Penty for a 4X8 piece of anything.
  7. hotwheels93

hotwheels93 New Member

I ain't a-gonna get rid of my '93 til it falls apart!!! (Since I'm a mechanic, that'll be a very long time from now.) Best of all, the wife agrees. I haven't yet found anything it will not haul.