1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5.3 Cam Swap?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ajfdirtrider, Mar 9, 2010.

1. ajfdirtrider

ajfdirtrider New Member

Has anyone on here done a cam swap on a 99-06 5.3. What would i have to do to put one in my sierra. Would i have to do any tuning to my ECM? Im kinda clueless to motor work. Any help, or advice is appreciated.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

if you say you are clueless dont do it then, just buy one and pay someone to do it, very involved process to just swap a cam. I am sure that if you google a motor shop for kansas you should be able to find someone close to you
  3. offroadaddict

offroadaddict New Member

well what about the ECM part? would anything else need to be done? I'm pretty confident and I work with a bunch of guys smart/experienced enough to do it.
  4. JennaBear

JennaBear New Member

I did a cam swap on my Tahoe. Reprogramming will depend on how big of a cam you go with.

EDIT: If you are wanting to do it on your own, LS1howto.com is a great site for instructional information.
  5. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

You'll really like the cam, they make a noticable difference and are worth the money.