1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5.3 Chip vs Programmer

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by snider30, Sep 20, 2009.

1. snider30

snider30 New Member

I recently bought a chevy 1500 truck with the 5.3L and love it! Has a lot more power than my old truck ('89 gmc 1500) I was wondering how well the 5.3 does when you start adding more horsepower to it if there is any problems I should be aware of?

The thing I really want to know is what do people like in this truck a chip or programmer? Which kinds have worked the best for people? Any advice will be very helpful!
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

5.3 chip vs programer

Your 5.3 does not have a removeable chip, any truck 1996 and later needs a programmer. I like the Diablo Predator or the SCT programmer. Both are very simuliar and let you fine tune the ecm.
  3. snider30

snider30 New Member

sorry for the dumb question, guess i have been driving that '89 for way to long:erf: after reading more on them would it be a bad idea to get one that could change settings on the fly?