1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5.3 liter engine

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Jim Beard, May 26, 2010.

1. Jim Beard

Jim Beard New Member

I am going to look at a 2004 Suburban this weekend with a 5.3 liter engine. I am more familiar with the old 305's and 350's. Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for or check?
    Thanks,
    Jim
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The 5.3 is a great, reliable engine. Back in 2002 JD Powers said it achieved a rating of 9 per 100 engines. The Toyota 4.7 had a 13 of 100 and Ford 5.4 had a rating of 17 of 100. Most major problems I've seen with the engine is mainly owner neglect or abuse. I forgot to mention the rating is how many problems engines out of 100 had trouble.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I agree 100% with what Silveradotrailblazer has said about the 5.3's Being a Great Engine.......the 5.3 in my truck has 142,000 miles and it runs Great.
  4. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

Someone had a Youtube on here about the exhaust manifold bolts
    breaking off...Dont really know that much about the newer stuff..
    But ya learn alot on here thats for sure..
  5. Farmerdave

Farmerdave New Member

That was a problem with the 6.0s not the 5.3
  6. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

Dads 5.3l ran strong untill it blew a head gasket at over 255,000 miles. Awesome motor.
  7. bowfishrp

bowfishrp New Member

Got one in my 2002 Yukon and still running great at 114K miles. I did have an injector go bad but with the way the packs are separated to each cylinder it was easy to diag. It was also a good time to replace the plugs and wires. It also didnt leave me on the side of the road...just a trouble code.

The one thing that I have to do every 6 months or so is clean all the black crud out of the intake. I pull the air cleaner and take choke cleaner and a clean toothbursh and open the intake gate and wipe down everything the toothbrush touches. Then fire it up and let it run for another minute and all it well. If I dont do this it starts idling too low and gets rough at idle. Never a problem other than idle.
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

never had any issues when I had my 2000 1500. Ran great
  9. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member

10. Farmerdave

Farmerdave New Member